Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

Workers compensation common law claims

Find the right person at Millner and Knight

Call me Back

Tell us a bit about your matter and an expert who specialises in claims like yours will call you back

Tell us how you became injured

When did the incident occur?

Tell us about your injury

Where did you become injurued?

It looks like we might be able to help you claim

This form is secure.

    Free Initial Consultation

    * Get the answers you need with no obligations

    100% No Win no fee

    * Nothing to pay if your claim is not successful

    Maximum Compensation

    * we won't settle for less than you deserve


    No legal Jargon

    Clear and concise advice in a language you can understand.


    Help With Rehabilitation

    Because compensation is just part of a bigger picture.


    Maximum Compensation

    We won’t settle for any less than you rightfully deserve.

    The Millner and Knight Difference

    With over 50 independent personal injury lawyers serving on our panel we’re sure we’ll find the right one for you.

    Under certain conditions, injured employees have the right to sue their employer for negligence through what is known as a workers compensation common law claim. If you need assistance we have experts ready to help in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory.

    Please note: This page contains general information only.

    What is a workers compensation common law claim?

    A workers compensation common law claim is the process of a worker suing their employer for negligence as opposed to receiving statutory benefits in the form of weekly payments. The extent to which an employee can bring a common law claim varies from state to state. In some states, you may be able to make a statutory claim, and a common law claim, and in some, you may be able to make both.

    To find out what type of claim you’re entitled to make call our WorkCover solicitors on 1800 106 107. All calls are free and you won’t be pressured into starting proceedings.

    What’s the common law claims process?

    Most people start the process by instructing a solicitor to act on their behalf to lodge their claim, however, some claimants choose to represent themselves. The reason most people choose to engage a legal representative is that the law is complex and insurers lawyers may act on behalf of the insurer in the interest of an employer, not the employee.

    To simplify things we have outlined the process in 5 simple steps

    1. Assessment and lodgement of a common-law claim,
    2. the claim is accepted or rejected,
    3. negotiations begin with a goal of settling the matter out of court,
    4. If negotiations fail or the employee receives an unsatisfactory offer the matter may proceed to litigation and potentially a court trial,
    5. employee wins the case and receives compensation or loses and receives nothing.

    Because common law claims aren’t set in stone it’s important that employees choose a solicitor who can offer them a no win no costs guarantee so that they’re not left footing a legal bill if the case is lost.

    Common law claims for psychological injuries

    If you have suffered some sort of mental harm in the workplace you may be entitled to compensation. Some of the most common types of psychiatric injuries include

    • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
    • Adjustment disorder
    • severe stress
    • depression.

    Some of the most common symptoms of psychological injuries suffered by employees include:

    • Nightmares or flashbacks relating to the incident,
    • trouble sleeping or insomnia
    • anxiety
    • panic attacks
    • suicidal thoughts

    If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms or anything out of the ordinary it’s important that you seek medical attention to get help and an accurate diagnosis. Your medical records can also be used as evidence if you decide to make a claim.

    What Damages Can be Claimed?

    • Pain and suffering
    • past and future lost earnings

    How to make a common law claim?

    The best way to start is to call us and have your matter assessed for free by one of our specialist panel solicitors in your jurisdiction. They can usually let you know in minutes whether you have a valid no win no fee case or not. A solicitor can also give you a ballpark figure on how much a prospective claim may be worth.

    To get the ball rolling you can call us on 1800 106 107, calls are free and you won’t be pressured into starting proceedings.


    Hi there, have a question? Text us here.

    We'll text you.


    Enter your information, and our team will text you shortly.

    0480 087 059

    We received your message. Our team will be texting you back from the number above. tick

    Use is subject to our terms and privacy policy