If your life or the life of a loved one has been affected by a motor vehicle accident we can help. Our specialist car accident lawyers servicing Perth and greater Western Australia handle all claims on a no win no charge basis.
Millner and knight have two conveniently located Perth offices within walking distance from the city’s bus and train stations. If you’re driving here there’s plenty of on-street parking and several multistorey car parks in the immediate vicinity.
12/17 Prowse St, West Perth WA 6005 – Get Directions
St Martins, Tower, Level 27/44 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000 – Get Directions
To book an appointment please call 08 6206 8080.
Our local car accident lawyers can make things right
Every day we speak with no-fault motor accident victims in Perth and WA who have already taken steps to seek a remedy for their car accident. Many of who have been referred to a law firm by a smash repairer or tow truck company but are unhappy with the way things are progressing. We also speak to numerous WA claimants who submitted their claim directly with the insurer (DIY). However, more often than not have run into some sort of difficulties such as the at-fault party or the insurer denying liability. This is when things become complicated and their claims seem to grind to a halt. In other instances with DIY claimants, their claim has progressed swiftly but they’re unhappy with the offer put to them by the insurance company.
Either way, if you’re unhappy with your current car accident law firm, have been made a low ball offer, or simply need a second opinion, feel free to give our local team of specialists a call on 08 6206 8080 for instant clarification.
Why make your motor accident compensation claim with us?
Millner and Knight are one of Perth’s and WA’s leading road accident injury companies so if you’ve been wronged on the road, we can make things right. Besides helping you recover monetary compensation, the support we offer our clients goes far beyond making a claim.
1. Free and immediate legal advice
Road accidents happen fast which often leave people hurt and confused. It may be the case that you’re unsure who’s at fault for the incident or are being pressured into admitting liability by another party. If you are in a similar situation it’s important to speak to a lawyer before making a report because even if you think you were to blame, in strictly legal terms you might not be.
2. Medial treatment, physio and rehabilitation support
Getting the right treatment and care after an accident is not only crucial to making a full recovery but also an important part of the claims process. Having your injuries properly diagnosed and assessed by experts in the field will ensure that you receive adequate compensation for the suffering you have already or expect to endure later down the track.
3. Accident replacement vehicles and crash repairs
If your car has been damaged beyond repair or is stuck in the repair shop waiting to be fixed we understand how this can be impacting your ability to earn a living. Through our wider partnerships, we can help you get back on the road after an accident that wasn’t your fault in a no-charge replacement vehicle.
What are the requirements to make a motor vehicle accident claim in WA?
Generally in Perth and Western Australia, you can make a claim if:
- you were injured in the last three years and
- someone else was to blame (even partly).
You may also be eligible for compensation if you have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident. If this is the case, and your injuries meet the required thresholds, we might be able to help you claim regardless of fault.
What type of road users can claim
Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance in WA is provided by ICWA and covers you for a number of accident types, which include:
- Drivers injured in road accidents where another party were at fault
- passenger injured in collisions with other road users
- drivers injured due to adverse road conditions
- pedestrians hit by other road users
- passengers injured in a single-vehicle accident
- motorcyclists hit by another road user or injured by defective road conditions
- pedestrians, passengers or drivers injured as a result of a hit and run
- cyclists involved in no-fault accidents with other parties
- witnesses to motor vehicle accidents
- patrons of taxi’s or rideshare companies such as Uber, Ola and DiDi
- claims on behalf of a loved one resulting from serious, catastrophic or fatal accidents
How to start your claim
The best way to start your claim is to give us a call however, you can also start your accident compensation claim online, just enter your details into our secure online claim form.
Some of the information we will need includes:
- Your name and contact details for communication purposes
- When the accident happened or when you first noticed there was something wrong
- Where the accident took place
- Did you visit your GP or go to the hospital
- A police report if there is one
- Details about the driver or entity you think are responsible for your accident
- Evidence or names of any witnesses you believe could support your claim
Don’t worry if you don’t have all this information to hand when you call us because we will help you obtain it if need be.
Once we have these details we will:
- Find out whether or not you are eligible for compensation
- Arrange for independent medical reports to support your claim
- Evaluate if you need further medical treatment or rehabilitation
- Let you know how long your claim will take and how much your compensation claim could be worth
- Keep you informed through every step of the process
- Answer your phone calls promptly.
- Match you with the right lawyer for your case so you get every bit of compensation you deserve.
What Happens Next?
- Your lawyer will notify the other party with the details of your claim which will either be accepted or rejected. If your claim is rejected, your lawyer will continue to work to prove your claim.
- Negotiations with the third will begin until an offer is made. If an offer is made, you will need to decide if the offer is sufficient or not. If you are unsure you can always ask your lawyer.
- Your case should be settled without going to court, however, if your claim cannot be settled out of court, your lawyer will guide you through the litigation process.
- The last part of the process is where you either accept an offer from the other party or it’s awarded by a Judge.
Our legal panel will complete most of the paperwork on your behalf, but we may ask you from time to time to check and sign any relevant paperwork.
What can you claim?
If you were injured in an accident then you may be able to claim the following:
Finacial compensation is designed to help restore a plaintiff back to their former self as much as possible. It can never take away the injury and the shock, but it can help cover the costs associated with your injury, allowing you to gain the treatment you need to recover. This includes:
- Compensation for the inability to work
- Pain and suffering
Depending on your individual circumstances, besides monetary compensation you may be entitled to claim for the following:
Medical treatment and support
- Ambulance costs
- Hospital Services
- Medical Services
- Prescription Medication
- Dental Services
- Rehabilitation Services
- Home Care
- Medical Aids
- Therapy Services
- Household Support Services
- Mobility Equipment
- Unpaid care from a family member or friend
Would you like to calculate your compensation online without speaking to a solicitor?
Can you lodge your own motor accident claim?
Many people choose to lodge their own claims after suffering injuries in a car or motor vehicle accident in Perth and WA so the short answer is yes, you can.
To get the ball rolling with your claim you should follow the following three steps:
- Complete an online crash report on the insurance commission of WA’s website
- Get in touch with the insurance commission and ask them for a claims form
- Complete any of the relevant paperwork and return it to them
It’s important to submit your claim as soon as practically possible after your accident as there are strict timeframes associated with claims in WA set by the Limitation Act 2005.
Please note: When making a claim, you are legally entitled to engage a specialist car accident lawyer to represent you. Your lawyer will be able to guide you through the claims process and ensure that no stone is left unturned when calculating the value of your claim. It’s also worth noting that most of your legal costs will be paid by the insurance company too.
Quick facts about motor vehicle accidents in WA
- As of 2021, according to the most recent data, there were 28,037 crashes reported to main roads.
- The states third party insurer received 11,300 motor injury insurance claims
- Millner and Knight have a specialist legal panel who can help you maximise your entitlements.
- Failure to lodge claims in time may result in you losing your right to financial compensation.
- Most matters are settled within 3 years without having to go to court.
- Lodging your own claim is possible however numerous case studies show that people with independent legal representation receive far more compensation.