Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

Free Initial Consultation

* Get the answers you need with no obligations

100% No Win no fee

* Nothing to pay if your claim is not successful

Maximum Compensation

* we won't settle for less than you deserve

Claiming compensation for accidents in public places

Suffering an injury in public can not only be humiliating but also rock your confidence. It seems like the whole world has turned into a hazard, whether you’re in a shop or restaurant. Millner and Knight also realise that an injury in a public place can have a serious impact on your everyday life and finances.

We realise it’s easy to blame yourself for an accident in a public place. Even if you feel that way, business owners and local authorities have a duty of care to keep you safe. If they haven’t, they were responsible and you could make a no win no lose claim.

If you’ve been injured in a public place, your injuries may have stopped you from living normally. It may feel difficult to cope on top of the physical pain of your injury. You may have received reduced pay or even unpaid sick leave. Along with other expenses, such as medical treatment and rehabilitation, the financial pressure can leave you unable to pay your bills or support your family. Even in the face of all of these odds, we can help. We guide you through the steps to make it right and get the compensation that covers the impact of your injury.

For free advice, or to find out you have a claim, you can get in touch with our local experts on 1800 106 107, or fill in our secure online form to arrange a more convenient time to talk.

Kinds of public accidents in Queensland

Public accidents can happen almost anywhere, but we’ve listed some common types below.

  • Supermarket accidents due to spills or hazards
  • Pedestrian accidents caused by cracked or poorly maintained footpaths
  • Slip and falls
  • Improper correct occupational health and safety procedures and risk assessments
  • Accidents involving children, such as while in school or crèche

Your public accident not listed here? Don’t worry; we may still be able to help.

If it’s possible, we recommend you report your accident to the staff or owner of the business so it is logged in any incident reporting books.

It can also be useful to note down the contact details of anyone who witnessed your accident, as this information is used to support your claim.

Was your accident someone else’s fault?

We know it can often be difficult to tell whether an injury in a public place was someone else’s fault. But business owners and local authorities must keep you safe as a matter of law. If they’ve neglected to follow health and safety laws, they are leaving people like you at risk. Businesses can reduce risks by cleaning up wet floors as quickly as possible and using signposts, keeping walkways clear of obstacles, and ensuring the area is lit well enough to avoid accidents.

Likewise, the local council or State road safety agency is responsible for making sure public pavements and footpaths are well maintained and safe to use. If the pavement is cracked or loose, this can cause trips or falls leading to painful injuries. If the owner or local authority failed to keep you safe, then you may be able to make a personal injury claim. A claim assists with your recovery and makes sure you’re not left out of pocket.

How your compensation can help

We know that compensation doesn’t relieve the pain, suffering, and inconvenience you’ve experienced. As lawyers, we’ve seen how compensation can help to cover the expenses and impacts of your injury, so you can focus on your recovery without having to worry about where money is coming from.

When preparing your claim, your specialist lawyer will consider:

  • Lost earnings, now and into the future
  • Medical treatment and expenses, including prescription costs
  • Other expenses, such as travel costs, accommodation and rehabilitation
  • Modifications to your home
  • The impact on your social life and hobbies
  • Your pain and suffering

Each claim is different and a dollar value on your suffering is impossible to affix before you start a claim.

Find out how our public liability lawyers can help

Many people who get in contact with us after an accident in a public place have doubts about who is at fault. If you are unsure, talk to us for free on 1800 106 107 or use our online form and request a callback. We can let you know whether we think you have a claim and can offer free, confidential advice with no obligations. Move forward at your own pace!