Voiced by Amazon Polly

Do you need help with a new or ongoing Worksafe claim in Victoria? If so our workers compensation lawyers acting in Melbourne and throughout the state can give you the advice you need with no obligation.


  • As of 2019, the amount of total standard claims reported by Worksafe Victoria is 26,429 which worked out to be 6.23 claims per million hours worked.
  • The average claim size for the fiscal year amounted to $77,741, however, this doesn’t include complex outstanding matters which could significantly increase the ACS.
  • In total 24 workers lost their lives in the state.
  • If you or a loved one has endured a physical or psychologicalinjury in the workplace Millner and Knight can help.
  • Our statewide panel of expert workers compensation lawyers can help you with any type of Workcover matters including common law claims
  • All matters are handled according to our strict risk free policy

Things to know about workers’ compensation in Victoria

Workcover insurance provides compensation to employees who have become injured or ill because of their work. It is compulsory for Victorian employers and is funded by their contributions.

WorkCover insurance may cover:

  • replacement of lost income
  • medical, rehabilitation and treatment costs
  • lump sum compensation in the event of a serious injury.
  • lost superannuation entitlements
  • damages for pain and suffering
  • economic loss

However, it’s not always easy for employees to access these entitlements after being injured at work.

All too often we speak with people in Victoria who are being denied their rights to workers compensation. Some of the most common reasons are:

  • A large number of the companies workforce are currently on workers comp
  • a claim could result in a lost time injury for the employer and affect them pricing future contacts
  • management is more concerned about rising insurance premiums than their employee’s wellbeing

Whatever the reason, this is not your problem and you should not be denied your legal right to workers compensation because it’s not convenient for your employer.

If you’ve had an accident in Melbourne or Victoria and are unsure about your rights and entitlements you can call us to have your matter assessed for free by a Worksafe lawyer who handles cases just like yours.

How to make a Worksafe claim in Victoria

  1. report any work-related injury or illness to your employer as soon as possible.
  2. ensure you notify your employer in writing within 30 days of becoming aware of your injury or you may lose your right to compensation.
  3. if your injury or illness is the result of a road accident, you need to report the accident to the police.
  4. complete a claim form


You can speak to an expert at Millner and Knight regarding your situation to ensure you receive every bit of workers compensation you deserve.

Types of work-related injuries

Some of the most common types of injuries suffered at work include

We can also help you with many types of different workplace accident scenarios such as:

If you’ve been injured, it’s best to seek independent legal advice as soon as practically possible. For free advice you can on 03 8804 5769. Your call will be taken by our experienced customer service consultants who will ask you a couple of quick questions regarding your circumstances before connecting you to a lawyer who specialises in workers compensation claims.

We can also help you if you’ve been involved in an auto accident travelling to or from work.

My workers compensation has been rejected

If your claim has been rejected you also have the right to appeal the decision. You may be able to use your sick leave or other accrued leave if you have any.

Your options are

  1. Contact a legal professional if you haven’t already.
  2. Speak to your employer
  3. Contact the WorkSafe Victoria on 1800 136 089
  4. Ask for a review of the decision. 
  5. Contact the Accident Compensation Conciliation Service
  6. Speak to a Union representative 

If you or somebody you love has had a workers compensation claim rejected, we can make it right. Call us on 03 8804 5769 or enquire online.