Get the compensation you deserve for your no-fault injury. Our specialist lawyers can help you make a successful public liability claim on a no win, no pay basis.
What is public liability
Public liability refers to the fact that there is a company, public body or another party who is:
- The owner or occupier of the place you were injured, and;
- is responsible for your injury, either by omission or commission.
The owner of any public place has a legal duty minimise or eliminate the risk of injury by those frequenting the premises. Such premises may include, but are not limited to:
- Shops, supermarkets and shopping complexes
- train and bus stations, garages, car parks, petrol stations and taxi ranks
- Fitness centres, gymnasiums, and swimming pools
- Poorly maintained roads, pavements, footpaths, and unsafe road works
- Theme parks or amusement centres
- Construction and building sites
- schools, TAFEs and universities
- bars, clubs, restaurants, and pubs
- Movie theatres, arcades, and outdoor sporting venues
The public liability lawyers at Millner and Knight can make a broad assessment of your eligibility for claiming compensation if you were injured in a public place.
Our specialists can talk to you about your public injury on 1800 106 107.
Our public injury specialists will inform you of your rights and eligibility for a public liability claim, and whether it can be handled on a no win no drama arrangement.
Claiming with our public liability lawyers
People claim compensation as a remedy to the accident, to restore the status quo had it not occurred. Financial compensation can only ever go so far in terms of truly compensating an individual but it can enable an injured person to focus on their recovery.
An injury sustained in a public place or anywhere else can have serious implications for the injured person and their loved ones. Our specialist public liability lawyers can claim on your behalf for:
- for any pain and suffering
- to cover medical expenses such as physiotherapy
- to cover additional expenses, such as damage to personal property
- to cover any loss of earnings, including future earnings.
We have offices located in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia.
Examples of public liability
There are many different ways in which a person can be injured in public. Our public liability lawyers handle claims for victims who have been injured in public on a daily basis. Some of the most common types of public liability claims examples are listed below.
- Accidents on holiday
- Dog Bites
- Shopping accidents
- Defective products
- Slips and Trips
- Supermarket Accidents
Don’t worry if your public accident isn’t listed above because we might still be able to help. No matter where or how you became injured if someone else were to blame we can still help.
How much compensation can I get?
The amount of public injury compensation awarded to you will be based on the severity of your injuries. Although we can’t tell you exactly how much compensation you are entitled to at this stage, we can give you an estimate. Our public accident claims calculator will give you an estimate based on public liability claims examples similar to yours.
You can also call us today to speak with one of our public liability lawyers on 1800 106 107. No matter how you become injured in public, we can help you get the public injury compensation you deserve.
Preparing for a public injury claim
To enhance your chances of success, we need to demonstrate the culpability of the owner of the premises in causing the injury.
If the owner of the public property has admitted fault, this helps your case. If the owner or responsible party disputes your assertion, this will be more difficult to fight in court.
A specialist public liability lawyer can help you with all the documentation and evidence required to build a case. Before you claim, you should:
- report the accident to the owner of the property, or in the case of commercial premises such as a shop, report it to employees
- if you did not report it at the time of the accident, report it immediately, in as much detail as possible
- ensure that the accident is logged in the company’s OH&S logs
- take names and addresses or contact details of any witnesses
- take photographs of the scene of the accident
- measure any defect that caused the accident, e.g. raised flooring or a damaged paving slab that lead to a trip – this may be useful if the owner repairs the defect after the fact
After your accident, you may require ongoing medical treatment like physiotherapy. Costs may blow out and lead to financial instability.
All expenses incurred will be factored into your settlement by way of reimbursement.
To find out exactly what our lawyers will consider and negotiate your compensation claim, you may call us for free on 1800 106 107.
You may be eligible to make public liability claim – your lawyer will advise you of your eligibility before proceeding.
What to do next
Our expert lawyers at Millner and Knight can help with all types of public liability claims.
Alternatively, you can Start your assessment online.