Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

Making an online crash report in WA

by adminMarch 6, 2020


Start your free claim check
Find out in minutes if and how much you can claim

WARNING: If you have been injured in a road accident and intend to make a claim for compensation, Do Not make your Crash Report until you have Read This page.

Every year countless Westralians are denied their right to compensation or receive a significantly lower payout through making a tiny mistake while making their online crash report. Don’t get caught out, call our WA road injury experts now on 08 6118 1673 for free tailored advice.

Never admit that the accident was your fault, or offer to pay towards repair costs, before getting independent legal advice.

The clock is ticking but do not rush to file your crash report

Road traffic accidents are often caused by a combination of mistakes and often include mistakes made by drivers of vehicles that managed to avoid the collision. Just because you think you were at fault as a driver, in a strictly legal sense that may not be the case.

Even the most minor crashes can take weeks of investigation and consideration to identify the actual cause. However, the strict time limits associated with making a crash report often induce victims into providing binding statements about their accident and injuries within a matter of days.

If you are unsure about any aspect of the incident do not try and piece the picture together by guessing what happened. Even if you’re under pressure to do so, or because it feels like the right thing to do.

Remember: The at-fault party is also going to be making a crash report, and sadly in this day and age, not everyone is as honest as we’d hope they would be.

For clear and comprehensive advice call 08 6118 1673. We can help you make light of your situation in straightforward legal terms.

You’re not alone, we’re here to help

Did you know that claimants receive on average, 3.5X more compensation with the help of a solicitor?

As one of WA’s leading compensation firms, we ‘re well versed when it comes to dealing with insurance companies. Over the years, our experts have helped countless victims of no-fault accidents recover millions of dollars in compensation on a no win no fee basis. However, our services go far beyond that of helping you make a claim.

We also offer a completely free of charge initial needs service to help you with:

  • The assessment and lodgement of your online crash report
  • a no-fault no charge accident courtesy car
  • rehabilitation and specialist injury support services
  • getting your vehicle repaired
  • and compensation claims advice

Our innovative, streamlined claims process has helped hundreds of people just like you resolve their matter in minimal time.

Why do I need to make a crash report?

If you are the driver or owner of a vehicle in WA it is actually a criminal offence to not report a road accident in which a party suffered injuries. Such incidents may include but are not limited to;

  • Multi-vehicle accidents including cars, trucks, buses, vans, motorcycles, scooters or coaches;
  • single-vehicle accidents such as a collision with a wall, tree, power pole or lighting tower;
  • pedestrians, cyclists, skateboarders or users of non-motorised personal transport who have collided with motor vehicles
  • passengers who have been injured as a result of a collision with another road user or injured in a single-vehicle accident
  • and witnesses to motor vehicle accidents

Apart from being an offence to not make a crash report, not doing so in time could also result in you losing your rights to financial recompense.

For free help and guidance, please our WA experts on 08 6118 1673.

Who do you need to report it to?

You may need to report your accident to the Police, the insurance commission or both. The nature and severity of your road accident will determine who you need to report it with. The WA Police recommend, that a traffic accident on a road or any place commonly used by the public such as a laneway or car park should be reported to them when;

  • The accident resulted in bodily harm to a person; or
  • more than $3000 worth of damage has been caused; or
  • the owner of the damaged property isn’t present.

However, when you file a report via the online crash report facility, your information is provided to both the Insurance Commission and WA Police Force so you only need to do it once.

How long do I have to file a crash report?

You must report the accident to the ICWA as soon as possible because there are time limits for taking legal action.

What will they ask you?

You will be required to answer the following multiple-choice questions;

Was any person injured as a result of this crash or has anyone claimed to you that they were injured as a result of this crash?

  • Yes
  • No

Where did the accident happen?

  • On-road Parking area or
  • shopping centre road or
  • Driveway or
  • adjacent to roadway or
  • Off-road

What best describes your experience

  • Right turn into an oncoming vehicle
  • Right Angle Collision
  • Side impact – same direction
  • Side impact – opposite direction
  • Head on collision
  • Rear end collision
  • Collision with a parked vehicle
  • Collision with one vehicle reversing
  • Struck pedestrian/push cyclist
  • Struck animal
  • Struck object
  • Overturned
  • Fall from moving vehicle
  • No Collision

Was the WA Police in attendance at the scene of the crash?

  • Yes
  • No

The approximate time and date of the crash

Your personal details including;

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact number
  • Date of birth
  • occupation
  • Employer
  • Sex

At the time of the crash were you the holder of a current driver’s licence?

  • Yes
  • No

Were you breath alcohol tested after the crash?

  • Yes
  • No

Were you tested for drugs after the crash?

  • Yes
  • No

At the time of completing this form, have you been charged by police in connection with this crash?

  • Yes
  • No

NOTE: If you are unsure about how your incident unfolded it’s important to seek legal advice before filing a crash report. To speak to an expert with experience in matters like yours call 08 6118 1673.

How long do I have to make a claim?

If you’re over 18, you generally have 3 years from the date of the when you first knew you were injured to make a claim. People under the age of 15, have six years to make a claim. Anyone aged between 15 and 18, should make a claim before their 21st birthday, however, these time limits are not set in stone. The time limit may change depending on:

  • the date of your accident or injury claim
  • what type of claim you need to make
  • if you were unable to manage your own affairs as a result of a pre-existing injury or illness, intellectual disability or as a result of an injury sustained in the accident
  • whether you intend to take action against or for the estate of a deceased person whether you are a relative or dependant of a deceased party to the accident

If you have missed the deadline and any of the above apply to you our local lawyers may be able to persuade the courts the grant you an extension. Even if there is any other reason why you missed the deadline we’ll still do our best to help you maintain your right to compensation.

Get help with your online crash report now!