Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

Free Initial Consultation

* Get the answers you need with no obligations

100% No Win no fee

* Nothing to pay if your claim is not successful

Maximum Compensation

* we won't settle for less than you deserve

Under certain conditions in Perth and WA, injured employees have the right to sue their employer for negligence through what is known as a workers compensation common law claim. 

Millner and knight have two conveniently located Perth offices within walking distance from the city bus and train stations. If you’re driving here there’s plenty of on-street parking and a number of multistorey car parks in the immediate vicinity.

12/17 Prowse St, West Perth WA 6005 – Get Directions

St Martins, Tower, Level 27/44 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000 – Get Directions

To book an appointment please call 08 6206 8080.

Our work injury experts offer free impartial advice and will not pressure you into taking things further.

Please note: This page contains general information only.

What is a workers compensation common law claim?

A workers compensation common law claim is the process of a worker suing their employer for negligence as opposed to receiving statutory benefits in the form of weekly payments. The extent to which an employee can bring a common law claim varies from state to state. In some states, you may be able to make a statutory claim, and a common law claim, and in some, you may be able to make both.

To find out what type of claim you’re entitled to make call our experts today All calls are confidentiale and you won’t be pressured into starting proceedings.

What’s the common law claims process in WA

Most people start the process by instructing a solicitor to act on their behalf to lodge their claim, however, some claimants choose to represent themselves. The reason most people choose to engage a legal representative is that the law is complex and insurers lawyers may act on behalf of the insurer in the interest of an employer, not the employee.

To simplify things we have outlined the process in 5 simple steps

  1. Assessment and lodgement of a common-law claim,
  2. the claim is accepted or rejected,
  3. negotiations begin with a goal of settling the matter out of court,
  4. If negotiations fail or the employee receives an unsatisfactory offer the matter may proceed to litigation and potentially a court trial,
  5. employee wins the case and receives compensation or loses and receives nothing.

Because common law claims aren’t set in stone it’s important that employees choose a solicitor who can offer them a no win no costs guarantee so that they’re not left footing a legal bill if the case is lost.

Common law claims for psychological injuries

If you have suffered some sort of mental harm in the workplace you may be entitled to compensation. Some of the most common types of psychiatric injuries include

  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Adjustment disorder
  • severe stress
  • depression.

Some of the most common symptoms of psychological injuries suffered by employees include:

  • Nightmares or flashbacks relating to the incident,
  • trouble sleeping or insomnia
  • anxiety
  • panic attacks
  • suicidal thoughts

If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms or anything out of the ordinary it’s important that you seek medical attention to get help and an accurate diagnosis. Your medical records can also be used as evidence if you decide to make a claim.

What Damages Can be Claimed?

  • Pain and suffering
  • past and future lost earnings

How to make a common law claim?

The best way to start is to call us and have your matter assessed for free by one of our specialist panel solicitors in your jurisdiction. They can usually let you know in minutes whether you have a valid no win no fee case or not. A solicitor can also give you a ballpark figure on how much a prospective claim may be worth.