Tips for Choosing the Best Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Western Australia
Find out if you have a claim in just 3 minutes
Use our free online claim check to find out where you stand and if you have a claim.
Navigating the workers’ compensation system in Western Australia can be a difficult task, even for some experienced lawyers. With that in mind, it’s important to find someone who’s won more than their fair share of cases in the same jurisdiction in which you became injured.
Keep it local
The worker’s compensation system varies tremendously from state to state throughout Australia. Given that, instructing a lawyer who has only handled a couple of workers compensation cases in WA could spell disaster for your claim. For example, you may have suffered an injury which would not meet the threshold which entitles you to claim in NSW however it very well might meet the threshold in WA. If you instruct a lawyer from an Eastern states/ national firm who are only dipping their toes in the Western Australian water so to speak, they may not have the right experience or thorough local knowledge of WA legislation to get the best possible result. Furthermore, you could be advised that your case lacks sufficient legal merit to claim when in reality it does.
So how can you safeguard your claim and mitigate any potential losses? It’s quite simple really, go with a law firm based in WA that specialise in Workers compensation law.
Did you know that Millner and Knight have two offices in Perth and over 15 WA workers compensation lawyers working on our panel?
Be prepared for your meeting
Before going to meet a prospective lawyer it’s important to prepare yourself similar to if you were going for a job interview. So what can you do?
- Do a bit of research on the law firm they represent.
- Write down a list of questions to ask them.
- Prepare a detailed account of how the accident happened and the injuries you sustained.
- Get copies of any correspondence you have received from WorkCover or the insurer.
- Get copies of any medical reports and prescriptions from the hospital or your GP.
- Make a list of any finacial losses you have incurred.
Ask all potential candidates plenty of questions
Remember that the only stupid question is a question never asked. With that in mind, do not feel intimidated about asking questions. What to ask?
- What will it cost you to make a claim and what happens if you don’t win?
- What are the chances of your case being successful and how much compensation can you get?
- Do they work exclusively in WA workers compensation claims?
- How many years post-admission experience (PAE) do they have?
- Do they offer no win no fee and what fees are covered by their guarantee?
- Who else would be working on your case?
- How often do they attend court, tribunals, conciliations, hearings and meetings regarding WorkCover matters?
- How will you be kept informed of developments and milestones your case?
Call our local work injury claims experts now on 08 6118 1673.
Don’t sign up right away, go away and have a good think about it
Entering into a legal agreement is not something that should be taken lightly. One thing to understand is most lawyers are also amazing salesmen too. It’s very easy to get caught up in the legal mumbo jumbo and believe that everyone has your best interests at heart, especially if you already feel nervous or anxious about claiming. So before you sign a no win no fee retainer, go away and consider:
- Did the lawyer provide clear and concise answers to your questions and queries?
- Did you understand everything they told you?
- Did the lawyer consider your individual circumstances?
- Is the lawyer someone whom you would trust with your most guarded secret?
- Would be comfortable working with them going forward?
- We’re you informed about any recent WA workers compensation claims they have won?
Have you spoke with a firm and yet to feel comfortable signing up with them? Why not speak to a member of our expert panel and see if we can put your mind to rest.