Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

How to make a CTP claim?

by adminFebruary 3, 2020


Start your free claim check
Find out in minutes if and how much you can claim

Learn how to make a CTP claim the correct way to ensure you or a loved one doesn’t lose their right to compensation after being injured in a crash.

Lodging a CTP claim

Anyone who has suffered injuries a no-fault road accident as a driver, passenger, pillion or pedestrian, will be eligible to make a CTP claim for compensation. In some states, even people at fault or partly at fault for the accident can claim too.

If you or a loved one has suffered injuries, our lawyers can provide you with immediate legal representation and support anywhere in Australia. Every year we help countless people make no win no fee CTP claims, and we could help you too.

Millner and Knights national panel of lawyers understand every aspect of insurance law and are well versed when it comes to dealing with insurers and their sneaky tactics. For free and impartial advice regarding your accident and injures call 1800 106 107.

CTP claims by State

Regardless of the severity of your accident and injury, the first step in making a CTP claim is to report the collision to the relevant insurers and authorities. Because the process differs throughout Australia, we have created state-specific instructions.

New South Wales

Depending on the nature of your accident, the police may have already attended the scene.

  • If the police were present, all of the parties involved would have given their accounts to the police. Any information given at the time is recorded in an event report which you will need if you want to make a CTP claim. If the police didn’t provide you with one immediately afterwards, you could obtain it by calling 131 444
  • If the police were not present the scene, you should report the accident to the police as soon as practically possible, and they will then provide you with an event number.

Our free CTP claim assessment service will help you to understand your entitlements and what you should expect to achieve. For free legal advice or help with the assessment and lodgement of your claim form, you can contact our team in Sydney on 02 9188 2023.


If the emergency services did not attend the scene:

  • If you haven’t already done so, and the police were not present at the scene you need to call the police as soon as practically possible to report your accident and obtain a claim number before calling the Transport Accident Commission.
  • If there was a police presence, call the commission on 1300 654 329, you will need to provide them with the claim number issued to you on the day or the attending officer’s name and station details.

We understand that dealing with insurers can be quite intimidating, and you may be worried about making a mistake while lodging your claim that could impact your entitlements. If so, please don’t stress; our team in Melbourne can review your application and provide you with free and immediate legal advice.

Please speak to a TAC solicitor now on 03 8804 5769, or request a callback


If you are injured in a crash in which the police did not attend, you must:

  • Complete a Report of Traffic Incident to Police Form which you can download here and take it to your nearest police station
  • report to a police station, not to Policelink, to get all the necessary information you need for your claim
  • if you are unable to visit a police station, you may post it to them

If you’ve had an accident, it’s essential to contact us on 07 2104 9341 as soon as possible. Insurance companies often try and encourage people to make their own CTP claims which can mean you get a significantly lesser payout than you deserve.

Millner and Knight are one of Queensland’s leading CTP claims firms, with an excellent reputation for overachieving.

Western Australia

WA has an online reporting facility which provides information regarding your CTP claim to the WA police and the insurance commission.

  • Report your accident via the WA police and insurance commissions joint online crash reporting facility, and
  • notify the insurance commission of your intention to file a claim, and
  • provide them with a medical authorization form to assess your records.

Road accidents happen fast, often leaving victims hurt and in a deep state of shock. You may feel as if you were at fault when legally, you’re not. For this reason, anyone who’s been involved in a road accident should seek independent legal representation.

For help and advice regarding your matter, please call our Perth and WA experts on 08 6118 1673 or begin the process online here.

South Australia

To make a report in SA, you will need to know the number plate for the at-fault vehicle to find out who the CTP Insurer is.

  • You can find the insurer at EzyReg by checking the number plate and selecting the ‘Check registration expiry date’ option
  • Once you have the vehicle plate number, you will need to lodge a claim form with the at-fault vehicle’s CTP Insurer.

Insurers often try to make victims of no-fault accidents an early offer, but it’s essential to seek independent legal advice before you accept a settlement. Our legal team acting in Adelaide can assess your offer and reassess your claim to ensure it is not a low ball offer.

For help and advice regarding your matter, please call 1800 106 107.

Northern Territory

After an accident, report it to the police as soon as possible. If you haven’t already done so, or if they were not in attendance, you should do so immediately. You will also need to obtain a claim form from the motor accidents compensation commission and submit it to TIO.

  • You can do this by calling TIO and asking them to mail one to you or download one here.
  • Claim forms are also available from your treating hospital Tasmania

Connect with our office in Darwin.

Australian Capital Territory

If you have been involved in a collision in the ACT, you must by law report the incident to police within 24 hours. Once reported, you will be provided with a collision report number that you will need to make a CTP claim.

Talk to our specialists in Canberra.


Regardless of the seriousness of your accident, if the police did not attend the scene, please report it with a police officer as soon as possible.

  • Once reported complete the Application for Scheduled Benefits form and lodge it with the MAIB
  • If you were the driver or owner of one of the vehicles involved in the accident, complete a Notice of Accident form.

Call our Hobart office on 1800 106 107