CGU Contact Details

Talk to an expert

Free Initial Consultation

* Get the answers you need with no obligations

100% No Win no fee

* Nothing to pay if your claim is not successful

Maximum Compensation

* we won't settle for less than you deserve

If you are insured with CGU and have recently been in a crash, you may need to speak with them. They will be able to assist in your insurance enquiries.

Here are some useful contact details:


Within Australia: 13 24 80

International Calls: +61 03 9601 8222

Opening Hours:

Monday: Open 24 hours

Tuesday: Open 24 hours

Wednesday: Open 24 hours

Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open 24 hours

Saturday: Open 24 hours

Sunday: Open 24 hours

Closed on National Public Holidays

Online Enquiries

Sending online message

Request a Call Back

Car Collision? What Next?

Getting in a motor vehicle collision can be one of the most unsettling moments in a person’s life. The unexpected has just happened. If you’re lucky, no one has been injured.

Then all the errands and tasks you need to complete because you’ve been involved in a vehicle accident like filing police or insurance claims or repair quotes and many other things. Remembering what steps to take can be tough. Here are some things drivers should do after a vehicle mishap.

Ensuring your safety

If it is safe to do so, you should move your vehicle. Remember to engage your hazard lights to avoid further injury. If any of the following circumstances are evident, you not move your vehicle and call 000.

  • When there is an unreasonable risk to the safety of the public
  • Moving the vehicle will expose more hazards eg. Spillage

Does the situation require emergency services?

Police do not need to attend every motor vehicle accident if they consider the damage minor. Traffic accidents don’t require police attendance unless:

  • Death or Injury (needing medical attention from a qualified medial professional)
  • Hazardous environment or a danger to the public- traffic control or fallen power lines.
  • Suspected involvement of drugs or alcohol
  • When a driver in cannot/refuses to provide the required details

If these factors are evident on the scene then you should call 000 and request emergency services.

Unfortunately, if you have returned to your car and whilst unattended it was damaged by an unknown vehicle and that the other driver has already left the scene without exchanging details. In that case, you can report it to the police.

Exchanging Information

If the motor vehicle incident is minor and emergency services are not needed, you can begin to exchange each other’s information. When collecting information, try to get as much as possible. You should be asking for details like:

  • Driver’s Licence Details- Name, address, etc
  • Licence Plate Details
  • Insurance Details
  • Phone Number
  • Take lots of photographic evidence

It is usually advised to lodge a police report within 24 hours from the time of the vehicle collision. You can do this on non-emergency police number on 131444.

What if you got hurt in the accident?

There’re a few things to remember:

  • Seek medical attention
  • Reduce Hazards
  • Advise police of injury in a police report
  • If any above requirements are met, then request police attendance
  • Take photos
  • Make sure to monitor injuries with a doctor or medical professional
  • Obtain legal advice

If you have been injured in a vehicle mishap you have the right to make a CTP claim for your injuries. As long as the injuries are sustained from that mentioned incident. You might need to prove the other driver was responsible.

Millner and Knight

You can also use our site to answer any question you may have regarding your motor vehicle compensation claim:

If you have suffered an injury whilst driving a car, as a passenger or on public transport. We have local specialists who can assist you in your compensation inquiry. It’s best to seek legal advice to know your options to make an educated decision.

Courtesy Car

If your insurer is not able to provide you with a hire car call Millner and Knight today on 1800 106 107and speak to one of our claims consultants who can help arrange a temporary vehicle whilst you recuperate. If the accident was not your fault the vehicle will be at no charge to you.  If you would like to make a claim, we can also arrange a local specialist to call for a free consultation. One conversation can get you back on your feet.