Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

Free Initial Consultation

* Get the answers you need with no obligations

100% No Win no fee

* Nothing to pay if your claim is not successful

Maximum Compensation

* we won't settle for less than you deserve

If you are insured with GIO and have been involved in a road traffic accident you may need to call them.

Here are some useful contact details:


Within Australia: 13 10 10

International Calls: +61 03 8650 4196

Opening Hours:

Monday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Tuesday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Wednesday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Thursday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Friday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Saturday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Sunday: 8am- 10pm AEST/AEDT

Closed on National Public Holidays

Online Enquiries

Sending an online message: https://www.gio.com.au/contact-us/send-message.html

Make an online Claim: https://www.gio.com.au/claims.html

What to do Next

Vehicle collisions happen every day, and unfortunately, there isn’t much we can do to avoid them. We must prepare ourselves in order to reduce your stress if you have encountered a vehicle. It is hard to think straight after a collision. Here are some things to remember when in an accident.

Safety Precautions

Making sure that you minimise hazards after an accident would be the first factor to consider. Firstly, check if all those involved are hurt, if so, contact emergency services. If anybody seems unresponsive, confused or unsure, call emergency services anyway. A lot of injuries can be internal, so it’s always better to make sure. If possible, try to move everyone involved to safety.

In order to increase your visibility for other drivers it the last thing you want to do I have an additional accident. It would be recommended to turn on your hazard lights as soon as you stop your vehicle. The last thing you want is to do is cause another accident. If there is no kerb or footpath, do your best to stay away from the flow of traffic

What to do Next

Determining whether the collision is major, or minor would determine whether police or emergency services are needed to attend the scene.

Traffic accidents don’t require police attendance unless:

  • Death or Injury (needing medical attention from a qualified medical professional)
  • Hazardous environment or a danger to the public- traffic control or fallen power lines.
  • Suspected involvement of drugs or alcohol
  • When a driver in cannot/refuses to provide the required details

If these factors are evident on the scene then you should call 000 and request emergency services.

Exchanging Information

Once, you’ve determined that emergency services do not need to attend you can proceed to exchange information. Try to take as much information as possible, but at least the minimum:

  • Name
  • Phone Number
  • Driver’s Licence Details
  • Licence Plate details
  • Insurance Details
  • Make and Model

If you are able to try to get:

  • Email address
  • Their story- whether it is their car or their relatives etc…
  • As many photos as possible

If you’ve been hurt

If you have been injured in a traffic accident you may be entitled to claim reimbursements for your injuries. If your injuries were sustained from a not at fault vehicle collision, you would just need to prove that the other driver is responsible.

The reimbursement can include medical expenses or loss of income. Every claim is assessed individually according to the situation and client’s injuries.

If you feel that you might have a claim for injury compensation you may need to notify your CTP insurance provider with the details of your claim.

If you feel OK

Even if you feel fine after the incident, you should take the risk of injury seriously. There are a number of injuries usually related to vehicle mishaps that don’t show symptoms instantly. Your adrenaline can mask that you’re hurt, so keep an eye out for any symptoms. Always seek medical assistance in regard to any injuries or symptoms.

Accident Replacement Vehicle

If your insurer is not able to provide you with a temporary replacement vehicle then call Millner and Knight on 1800 106 107. Our dedicated team of claims consultants can help you arrange a replacement vehicle whilst your care is in repairs. As long as the accident was not your fault then you are eligible for a free of charge hire car. We pride ourselves in helping Australians claim entitlements and helping them get back on their feet. Motor vehicle accidents simplified!

Related Pages

1. Make a road accident injury claim in WA?

We have a panel of specialist lawyers who have spent decades dealing with the States insurance commission

2. Claim for injuries suffered in a no fault MVA in QLD

Rest assured if you have been involved in a road accident in QLD our expert CTP lawyers can help

3. Lawyers for motor vehicle accidents in Victoria

Our lawyers can guide you through the claims process to ensure a maximum payout from the TAC

4. What is the no win no dramas guarantee?

Find out today if you can take advantage of our no win no pay claims service.