Every day we help people just like you start their journey towards compensation

Free Initial Consultation

* Get the answers you need with no obligations

100% No Win no fee

* Nothing to pay if your claim is not successful

Maximum Compensation

* we won't settle for less than you deserve

If you are insured with AAMI and have recently been in a motor vehicle accident you may need to speak with them.

They will be able to assist you with any type of car insurance claims enquiry.

Here are some useful contact details:


Within Australia: 13 22 44

International Calls: +61 03 8520 1300

Opening Hours:

Monday: Open 24 hours

Tuesday: Open 24 hours

Wednesday: Open 24 hours

Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open 24 hours

Saturday: Open 24 hours

Sunday: Open 24 hours

Closed on National Public Holidays

Online Enquiries

If you don’t want to speak to someone, follow the link below to make an online enquiry.

Sending online message https://www.aami.com.au/contact.html#contactus

Making your car insurance claim with AAMI online is simple, they have an uncomplicated, easy to use web portal that allows you to lodge your claim in minutes

Lodge online Claim https://online.aami.com.au/mac/aami

What to do Next

Vehicle mishaps can happen in the most unexpected places and time, even if you pride yourself in your safe driving. There are many unforeseen reasons to why another driver can cause an accident:

  • Carelessness
  • Inexperience
  • Influence of Drugs or Alcohol
  • Vehicle malfunctions
  • Wrong place at the wrong time

Regardless, most drivers would find themselves in a vehicle collision at least once in their lives.

As soon as it is safe to do so- stop your vehicle and move into a safe area. Remember to place your hazard lights on to avoid any other driver getting injured. Also, it is recommended to check whether the other party needs immediate medical attention and assess any damaged caused.

The next step would be to determine whether your situation warrants police attendance. Since 2015, it is not compulsory for police to attend a vehicle collision unless:

  • Anyone is trapped, injured or killed
  • Anyone involved failed to exchange details
  • Any of the drivers appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol


  • Police are needed to direct traffic or hazards
  • A bus or truck needs towing
  • There are hazards present- leaking fluids, broken power poles, etc…
  • Issues requiring police assistance- violence, criminal behaviour, etc…

Call Emergency Services if anyone is injured 000

Once it is determined whether police attendance, then it is required to lodge a police report on 131 444. You must make a police report within 24 hours from the accident. You can proceed to exchange details with the other driver:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Driver’s Licence Details
  • Licence Plate number
  • Insurance Details

Advise your Insurer of the Situation

Even if it is not your fault it is recommended to speak to your insurer. Contact your insurer to advise them of your situation, let them know about the accident and all the details of the other driver involved.

Can I claim for my injuries too?

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle collision you may be able to claim compensation. You would need to prove that the opposing party was responsible for your injuries.

If you claim against a person, the claim goes through their Compulsory Third Party Insurer.  If the person:

  • Is uninsured
  • Not contactable
  • Unidentifiable

The claim can be brought against the Nominal Defendant.

Nominal Defendant is essentially a scheme where a person can claim entitlements for injuries caused by a motor vehicle even if it is an unregistered vehicle or unidentified vehicle. The scheme creates a defendant who is not physically present, who only exists in names only. This allows all those injured in an accident the right to claim injury reimbursement.

How We Can Help

You can also use the Millner and Knight website to find specific information regarding your individual circumstances.

If you have suffered an injury whilst driving a car, as a passenger or on public transport. We have a local specialist who can assist you in your compensation inquiry. It’s best to seek legal advice to know your options to make an educated decision.

Courtesy Vehicle

If your insurer is not able to provide you with a hire car call Millner and Knight today on 1800 106 107 and speak to one of our claims consultants who can help arrange a temporary vehicle whilst you recuperate from your vehicle mishap. If the accident was not your fault the vehicle will be at no charge to you.  If you would like to make a claim, we can also organise a local specialist to call for a free consultation. One conversation can get you back on your feet.

Related Pages

1. Make a road accident injury claim in WA?

We have a panel of specialist lawyers who have spent decades dealing with the States insurance commission

2. Claim for injuries suffered in a no fault MVA in QLD

Rest assured if you have been involved in a road accident in QLD our expert CTP lawyers can help

3. Lawyers for motor vehicle accidents in Victoria

Our lawyers can guide you through the claims process to ensure a maximum payout from the TAC

4. What is the no win no dramas guarantee?

Find out today if you can take advantage of our no win no pay claims service